Blogger Template by Blogcrowds and Blogger Styles

.

So this will be my first Easter completely on my own....it was hard to accept that because of conflicting work schedules (since I do not work for a Catholic based company for the first time in 11 years...) I could not make it home. Now to be fair, half my family, cousins included that feel like other siblings, were not going to make it home either. Welcome to growing up I suppose.....hopefully it will not last long and there will be many more nieces and nephews to fill this void....
After talking with my mother on the phone the other night, I soon felt the pangs of melancholy as nostalgic memories of my grand Victorian house filled to the brim with children, laughter, conversations and great food, women chatting in the kitchen over homemade recipes and men sitting around the grand living room or on the porch discussing politics, etc. ( So, yes, my memories have a very Norman Rockwellian look to them...:) ) I was going to be stuck here with no family, no basket hunt, no eggs dying my fingers odd colors before mass...Definitely not my view of Easter.
After working today, I had glanced some Easter recipes on the Bon Appetite magazine, and spied some springy dresses on my J. Crew browse, and the warm weather all got my mind thinking....I needed to have an Easter! I had no food, no china, no family...but I was going to do this anyway! As soon as I got home I had plopped on the couch, tired from a long warm day, and fighting the last of this wretched spring cold...and on the TV was one of the girls of my family's favorite movies...While You Were Sleeping...and it came to the scene were she is alone after Christmas eating Oreo's dipped in the milk from her cat's bowl...I suddenly thought.....this can not be me! I can not be sitting here being melancholic, this is EASTER! The most joyous holiday in our calendar! So I turned on classical music and tied on my apron....
I was going to make my own Easter, just for myself...and who knows? Maybe someone will show up anyway.
So as I browsed through my fridge I began throwing things together and...voila! An Easter menu to make my mom proud appeared in my kitchen!

My Easter Menu
For breakfast I am making;
~Tomato and Cheese Frittata
~Homemade Cinnamon rolls (a family tradition, which mom usually gets up at the crack of dawn and bakes up a storm, the delicious smells wafting through our house to wake us in the morning and to be snacked on while hunting for many colored eggs) 
~ Fruit salad
~Coffee or Tea

For light lunch I made;
~Chicken Pasta salad with a Dill Garlic Yogurt dressing
~A cheese platter with fruit
~Lemonade or Iced Tea

Plus I redecorated a bit ( my favorite thing to do) and our little kitchen table is decked out in mutli colored glasses of pale green and rich blue that catch the candle light, white china plates with pink checked bowls adorning them with little clementines for snacking, large pink flowers in pretty clear glass vases, linen napkins and polka dotted tea cups of pastel hues...worthy of any Easter table, no? 

I love that I was inspired to create this for myself, and in this feel so much more joyous at it!! If any one cares to join me I made plenty of food! Now, I am off to plan my Easter outfit...white gloves and a hat in order? Perhaps....
Happy Easter!!!

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home